Wednesday, July 16, 2008

paint brushes and dance shoes

ok so im excited..today i have been thinking of all the things that i love to do..but that i dont make time to do. Things i am good at, and things i am not so good at. But regardless, i love to do them. Painting, reading, dancing, writing...i love to do all of these...all are different ways of being creative, ways of expressing something within me..i do like my job, dont get me wrong..and i love working out, i love hanging out with my friends..but the creative things, they give me a different type of outlet..a way to get out thoughts, passions, energy.

I painted back in middle school and college. I will say i am good. i have had people want to buy my paintings. However it has been a LONG time since i have picked up a paint brush. I really want to start painting again..and possibly try to sell some of the art. I found a cute restaurant that will let me hang my paintings up for sale on their walls. Soooo i started looking into art classes offered in raleigh..i need to refresh what i had learned back in the day. I love impressionist paintings. I love to use acrylic paint. They have a certain thickness that enables the painter to show texture . The brush strokes are visible in acrylic paintings and i love how that looks. The hardest thing for me is making the time to paint. My favorite piece of art i have done is of sailboats in a harbor. This i did my sophomore year of college during winter term..and it took a lot of work, a lot of perfecting..a lot of focused time was dedicated to this piece..how in the world can i make this kind of time to paint again?..my dad told me, you make time for what you love.

The other thing i looked into is dance classes. This i am not good at.. I mean i am athletic and i have rhythm but i am not flexible and i have NEVER danced before in my life. I have taken one hip hop class with ginny..it was fun, but i was not the best in the class! haha..but i loved it!! it was soooooooooo much fun.. The North Carolina Dance Institute offers a lot of great classes. Jazz, Modern, Hip Hop, Ballet.. They are pricey but its such a new and fun thing for me..plus its great exercise. As you can see i know nothing about dance..its just something that i enjoy.

However, i cannot do both of these because the budget does not allow. I guess ill have to make a decision soon enough and just go with it.

Ill let ya know how it turns out
what would you prefer, paint brushes or dance shoes?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

probably dancing...he he

Lauren said...

Ooohhh. That's a tough one. I also love to paint (though not so good at it) and LOVE to dance (might be slightly better in this department!) Do whichever one you think would be the most beneficial right now. Also, which one would be more helpful to take classes in? If you can learn new skills in one of the areas on your own, do classes in the other.

Personal preference? I'd take the dance classes. If you decide to do that route and find a place that's not too expensive, I just might join you...Let me know!

Adam McCullough said...

The dance classes would be fun but I would have to go against the majority on this one and say Painting. Although dance classes might give you a rewarding feeling, being able to sell your painting for extra income, especially with this economy, would not be a bad investment as well as give you joy in doing it.