Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Rodeo..and other adventures in Raleigh

OK so I have been in Raleigh since the 9th grade, and I was in Cary before that, since i was 5. I love Raleigh..I always have. I love that it is a city with enough to do, but not as much traffice as NYC, ATL, Charlotte.. As many of you know, traffic brings out the worst in me. I am not proud of it. um but thats life..and i work on it..haha. I love Raleigh because its close to the BEACH!! and close to the mountains. If gas was free I would drive to the beach every weekend..its so relaxing there..and its really very spiritual!! I love how God has created so many things, sites for us to enjoy. Well those things are nice about Raleigh, but as far as Raleigh itself goes, I found that I have run out of stuff to do...I mean how many times can you go bowling, play ski ball at Frankies, go to the Movies, go to the Mall, or the gym, or go walk around the lake..well i guess you could do these forever..BUT..it actually turns out there are more fun things to do in Raleigh but i just havent been looking..
Well this week I am trying new things...and so far its been great!!!
Tuesday night I went to the Rodeo. I love love loved it!! What a new fun experience..its so different from anything I'm used to, and its out of my comfort zone. not in bad way though..haha
When the night kicked off, horses were riding around the arena in a formation. the girls riding the horses were holding flags. One was the NC flag. Then a man said a prayer. After that some hype music came on and a horse galloped into the arena more speedily than the others..this girl was carrying the American flag..then everyone there said the Pledge of Alleigance to the Flag and we then sang the National Anthem..I loved the sense of patriotism and the acknowledgement of God that this event had. All the bull riders were announced and the bull riding began!! WOW i loved it..the youngest bull rider was 17..yikes..
During intermission were barrel races..the girls took turns racing on a horse around the course and making the sharpest turns possible around the barrels without knocking them over...I thnk the fastest time was 17.5 seconds..better than i could do..
well thats about it. we left early bc the mosquitos were getting us.next time ill bring bug spray:-)

Tonight Patrick and I are taking his parents to a movie on the Lawn...never done this before..I know to bring bug spray now..haha. Koka Booth Amphitheatre does this on thurs nights in the summer. Tonight is The Bee Movie..i think is will be funny..we shall see. But before the movie we are going to Hard Times Cafe!!! LOVE IT..it has the best frito pie...what is that you say..its chili with fritos and the mixins..cheese, sour creme, diced tomatoes, any or all of those. There are 4 kinds of chili to choose from: Texas, Cincinatti, Vegetarian, and Terilinqua. I love the Texas.. Patrick gets Terilinqua or Cincinatti..I recommend you try this place out..they also have burgers, fries, chicken sandwhiches, salads..but go for the Chili..It is on Glenwood..downtown.

So thats 2 new things in raleigh this week..hopefully Ill try some more things next week. But actually it might have to wait til July..June is hectic...crazy how that happens..but it will give me time to research and find a new adventure to take on...
let me know if you have ideas!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Shae - Thanks for inspiration on fun new things to try in Raleigh! I'm excited to check some of them out and get to know my new city a bit more. Also enjoyed the deep thoughts on your most recent post. Good stuff :)

Lauren